Sunday, January 6, 2013

Animalsies, David Attenborough and really old Art!



So I finally decided it was time. To draw those things I've been avoiding drawing. You know. The stuff you don't see every day. So I dutifully went to the zoo sat down on my comfy couch with a bunch of Planet Earth and Life DVDs. Is that cheating? Honestly, I don't particularly care as I wasn't exactly tracing over the giant TV screen. (I also discovered how to use the TV....took a while) 

Did the whole gesture/build forms over top thing. At first I wanted to shoot myself cause I had no idea what I was doing. You see, it's been...many years since I've diligently drawn animals? And by animals I mean copy colorful photos from my animal encyclopedias when I was 10. Below are some of my masterpieces I found....are you ready?


Like, I mean are you really ready?
.
.
.

You might need a blindfold for this.
.
.
.

And a bottle of something strong.
.
.
.

Behold!






 Now you know the funny thing is...you think you get better as you grow up and draw right? I suppose....unless somewhere along you journey you stumble upon the wonderful world of...dun dun dun: Digimon. And anime. And then your art looks exactly the same for the next...8 years. Voila work from when I was 12......

I'm serious about that something strong now
.
.
.
some 50% Chinese rice wine might do the trick
.
.
.
And now that you're gingerly holding your pint glass
.
.
.
Behold what I call regression!



Yup. I know. You just grouped me into "that" group of people.

So as you can now understand...it's been a while. And considering what I managed to draw over the last few days, I'm pretty darn happy with how it all came out. Unfortunately as soon as I turned on the telly and heard his charming voice the drawing bit was totally over... I want David Attenborough to narrate my life. Just saying. 
So after failing miserably to drawing animals in HD I did the next dumbo thing and searched for low rez videos of animals I was working on....so a lot of my sketches ended up being interpretations of pap smeared handy cams from youtube. Talk about brilliance?

Anywho, since I already exposed you to my wonderful beginnings of art, here are a few of my actually awesome pieces from when I was around 9 and 10. 


Aren't they actually better than all that other work I showed you above?? 

These were from the period I diligently went to an art studio in Ukraine after elementary school twice a week. I totally thought I would be the next Leonardo. Hah. Hah. Hah. But I had a fantastic teacher whom I remember and am very thankful for to this day. Sadly I can't find many links to his beautiful work...but here is one piece! My artistic ambitions would not be where they are now that's for sure.

Well....an update on portfolio status: 12 pages done!! And that would be after having milked all my work up till now...yikes. All fresh new stuff from this point onwards! 

No comments:

Post a Comment